E-mail MeMargaret Behringer Maloney
888-321-1955 (Toll Free)
Meg Maloney has been practicing law in Charlotte since she graduated from Duke Law School in 1985, where she won the Moot Court Competition for second and third year students. As an associate and partner with Moore & Van Allen, she handled a wide variety of employment law and litigation cases, counseling, litigation avoidance, and policies and procedures for local, regional, national and international clients. In 1996, she left private practice to become the first employment law attorney at First Union, which was faced with its first large employment law class action. At First Union, she was promoted to Senior Vice President and worked closely with Human Resources and senior management. She was asked to serve on the Diversity Council for Capital Markets and the Legal Division, the Women's Advisory Board for Marketing and Product Development, and other company-wide committees. When First Union merged with Wachovia, she returned to private practice. She founded her own law firm in 2008. Since returning to private practice, she has broadened her practice to include more plaintiff's cases, which gives her a unique perspective. The lawyers of North Carolina have elected her one of the Legal Elite in the state for the past several years.
Meg enjoys handling a wide variety of employment law matters. She has conducted internal wage and hour audits in most states, participated in audits by the DOL, and defended wage and hour class actions. Title VII, ADA , ADEA, FMLA, and other employment law issues make up a significant part of her daily counseling, negotiation, and litigation work. She regularly counsels senior executives on their way into and out of companies.
Community service is an important part of her life. She served on the Board for Legal Services for eight years, two as President, and has handled pro bono cases for Legal Services, the Human Society of Charlotte, the Union County Humane Society, and other organizations. Support of the arts is a passion. Meg was on the Board of the Community School of the Arts for six years, and for the Charlotte Children's Choir for several more. Currently, she is focused on her work with the Charlotte Women's Bar and in support of the North Carolina Dance Theater. Meg's husband is a US Airways pilot and a local realtor. They have two daughters.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Employment and Labor Law Counseling
- Advises clients on employment law issues in mergers and acquisitions, displacements, and restructurings.
- Counsels clients on state of the art policies and practices and develops guidelines to implement and enforce them.
- Training, support and counseling on compliance with the various state and federal employment laws related to wage and hour, discrimination, wrongful discharge, harassment, disability, leaves of absence, and similar issues.
- Advises on severance plans and incentive plans.
- Workplace violence, executive counseling, investigations, documentation on drug testing.
- Union avoidance climate interviews, education and training.
- Offer letters, employment agreements, noncompete agreements, and independent contractor agreements.
Employment and ERISA Litigation
- ERISA cases (claims and fiduciary duty).
- Cases alleging discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, slander/libel, emotional distress, breach of contract, as well as claims under the ADA, FMLA, ADEA, Title VII and comparable state laws.
- Cases involving non-competition, non-solicitation, confidentiality, and trade secrets.
- Wage and hour issues.
- Various forums including state and federal trial and appellate courts, administrative proceedings, and mediations and arbitrations.
- Individual, class and collective actions.
- General litigation.
- General business litigation.
- Personal injury and intellectual property.
Areas of Practice
- Employment and Labor Law Counseling
- Employment and ERISA Litigation
- North Carolina, 1986
- Duke University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
- J.D. - 1985
- Honors: Winner of Moot Court Competition
- Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois
- B.S. - 1982
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Major: Philosophy
Honors and Awards
- Elected to Business North Carolina Magazine's, Legal Elite in the Category of Employment Law, 2009 - 2013
- Selected for Publication in North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2009 - 2013
- Mecklenburg County Bar Pro Bono Award
- Mecklenburg Times 50 Most Influential Women Award, 2012
- Listed in Best Lawyers 2012-2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Employment Law Section
- Legal Services of Southern Piedmont, Former President and Board Member
- Community School of the Arts, Former Board Member
- Women Executives of Charlotte, Member
- Charlotte Women's Bar Association, Board Member and North Carolina Association for Women Attorneys Liaison
- Strategic Leadership of the Carolinas, Former Legal Committee Chair
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, Employment Law Section Member
Past Employment Positions
- First Union Corporation, Senior Vice President, 1996 - 2001
- First Union Corporation, Legal Division, Senior Employment Law Counsel, 1996 - 2001
- First Union Women's Advisory Board for Marketing and Product Development, Member, 1985 - 1986
- Moore & Van Allen, PLLC, Partner/Member, 1985 - 1996
Pro Bono Activities
- Pro Bono Assistance, Legal Services for Southern Piedmont
- Humane Society of Union County
- WDNC Pro Se Settlement Assistance Program